#!/usr/bin/python or #!/usr/bin/env python?

Stephan Kuhagen stk at mevis.de
Wed Aug 9 05:14:35 EDT 2006

Tobias Brox wrote:

> This is very off-topic,

Sorry for starting that...

> but if it's fairly common to begin tcl-scripts
> as a /bin/sh-file with "exec tcl" at one of the first lines, I think
> "file" ought to be able to recognize it.
>
> """exec" python is clearly an obscure hack not used by many, so I
> don't see why "file" should ever recognize that :-)

That's what I meant. It is okay for a Python-script not to be recognized by
"file" that way, it is enough that I can do it, if I need to. But file
should recognize this for Tcl, because it is common there. And if it needs
to work for Tcl only, one can construct a simple mechanism for "file" to
check this.

Stephan