Can't get LCHARVAR's with InformixDB

Carsten Haese carsten at uniqsys.com
Tue Aug 1 12:42:40 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 11:41, fhurley at gmail.com wrote:
> Carsten Haese wrote:
> > Could you possibly send me a minimal test script that shows the problem?
> > Also, in case it matters, I'd like to know which versions of IDS and
> > CSDK or Informix Connect you're using.
>

> Here's a sample script:
>
> sql = '''select msg_tx from dev_log'''
> import informixdb
> conn = informixdb.connect('mydb')
> cursor = conn.cursor()
> cursor.execute(sql)
> print 'description is <%s>' % cursor.description
> print cursor.fetchall()

Thanks, but I can't use this to reproduce the problem. I'll need the
create table statement for dev_log.

> Output is:
> description is <('msg_tx', 'lvarchar', 0, 0, None, None, 1)>
> [('',), ('',), ('',), ('',), ('',), ('',)]
>
> But one of them should be:
> '''Something:SomethingElse - going for 221 possibilities [User:
> HOST-NAME\XYZZY]:
> Id	OtherData
> 5878	C
> 5968	X
> 6732	V
> [many more lines like this]
> '''
>
> Some hunting around, and I found this:
>
> C:\Program Files\Informix\Client-SDK\bin>esql
> IBM Informix CSDK Version 2.80, IBM Informix-ESQL Version 9.52.TC1
>
> Not sure what IDS is... the Informix Server version is: 9.3 FC3,
> according to the DBA guy.

IDS = Informix Dynamic Server. The version numbers you gave me are what
I was looking for.

For what it's worth, I've tried a simple test script on my Linux server
that creates a temp table with an lvarchar column, inserts into it, and
reads from it, all without a problem. However, there are many
differences between my test environment and yours, and I'll need to know
your specific circumstances to isolate which difference is causing the
problem.

Thanks,

Carsten.