Regd:Video Converter Programming

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Sat Aug 12 00:50:40 EDT 2006

"Ch3ru5" <muppadivya at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks all for replies . I am sorry for a confusion of the question .
>But what i wanted to know is in general in any programming language ,
>how you go about writing a video converter .

The problem is that converting between video formats requires LOTS of
manipulation of bitfields: pull 3 bits from here, pull 6 bits from here,
insert 9 bits there.  That kind of manipulation is easier in some languages
than in others.

For example, it makes sense in C and C++.  It can be done in Python,
although not as efficiently.  It would be difficult in PHP.

>The basic flow of code . that's it . I will look into the resources in
>a particular language of my choice later .

The basic flow depends on what formats you are converting between.  To to
MPEG-to-AVI, for instance, you would normally go through the whole MPEG
decompression process to get to a series of bitmaps, then go through the
whole AVI compression process to get a movie.

If you are on Windows, you almost certainly want to use DirectShow to do
this job.  There is a DirectShow interface for Python.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.