text editor suggestion?

cga2000 cga2000 at optonline.net
Mon Aug 21 16:48:00 EDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 07:59:49AM EDT, Roberto Bonvallet wrote:
> John Salerno wrote:
> > I'd really like to learn vim, but I spent days just trying to figure out
> > how to get the syntax highlighting and indentation working, where these
> > settings are and how to edit them, and it still doesn't work for me. It
> > just feels so insurmountable that I can't even start working with it yet
> > because I don't know how to tailor the settings.
>
> Create a vimrc file (if you use Unix: ~/.vimrc) with the following lines in
> it:
>
>     syntax on
>     set autoindent
>     set smartindent
>
> If you find that using vim is hard, try using evim (easy vim).  It is part
> of the standard vim distribution (actually it's the same program).  Anyway,
> I suggest learning the classic modal vim, it's really worth it.

I'm not sure anyone else mentioned it.

One additional feature of Vim that you soon will appreciate is that you
get high quality (and timely) support from very knowledgeable users on
the vim at vim.org mailing list.

I am unsure whether simpler editors provide this type of thing.

As to creating one's own color schemes .. there are hundreds that can
be downloaded and installed in a matter of minutes and they're likely
much better than what I would be able to come up with.

Some people are just good at this kind of stuff and I'm not one of 'em.

:-)

So, I tried out the ones that looked nice .. selected a few that I liked
more than the others .. and changed a few things that didn't suit me to
create my own modified versions of the originals.

Thanks

cga