Anonymous dynamic import

Christian Convey christian.convey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 16:15:44 EDT 2006

Anyone know how to do this?:

I want a way to dynamically import modules (module names not known until
runtime).  I want to end up with a handle to the resulting module object,
without having poluted my global module namespace in the process.

Basically I want to something like this:

def  call_all_user_supplied_foo_functions(user_script_pathanmes):
   for f in user_script_pathanmes:
      a_module = magic_module_import_function(f)
      a_module.foo()

Any ideas?

I've looked at using imp.load_source() or imp.load_module(), but it looks to
me like all of these polute the global namespace with the names of the
modules I'm importing.

Thanks,
Christian