state of SOAP and python?

Andre Meyer meyer at acm.org
Wed Aug 16 03:05:52 EDT 2006

I had success with ZSI: http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

It worked very nicely for publishing a SOAP we service and accessing it from
a client writtenusing the same library. What I didn't manage to achieve was
to write the client in AJAX (tried
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/webservices/library/ws-wsajax/).

regards
Andre

On 8/16/06, Mark Harrison <mh at pixar.com> wrote:

> Gabriel Genellina <gagsl-py at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
> > At Thursday 10/8/2006 03:38, Mark Harrison wrote:
> >
> > >So I'm investigating doing some SOAP work... Any concensus on
> > >what the best python libraries are for doing this?
> > >
> > >Too bad, xmlrpc is choking on our long longs. :-(
> >
> > Just thinking, if you have control over the two ends, and dont need
> > real interoperability, maybe just extending <int> to support long
> > integers could be easier...
> > I remember extending <double> once to support NaN's, moving to SOAP
> > was too much effort for that application.
>
> Good thinking!  It turns out all you have to do is comment
> out the range check:
>
>     def dump_int(self, value, write):
>         # in case ints are > 32 bits
>         ##if value > MAXINT or value < MININT:
>         ##    raise OverflowError, "int exceeds XML-RPC limits"
>         write("<value><int>")
>         write(str(value))
>         write("</int></value>\n")
>
> Thanks,
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Harrison
> Pixar Animation Studios
> --

Dr. Andre P. Meyer                        http://python.openspace.nl/meyer
TNO Defence, Security and Safety          http://www.tno.nl/
Delft Cooperation on Intelligent Systems  http://www.decis.nl/

Ah, this is obviously some strange usage of the word 'safe' that I wasn't
previously aware of. - Douglas Adams