Nested function scope problem

Antoon Pardon apardon at forel.vub.ac.be
Fri Aug 4 13:06:26 EDT 2006

On 2006-08-04, Gerhard Fiedler <gelists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2006-08-04 12:12:44, Antoon Pardon wrote:
>
>>> That's possible. I wouldn't expect too many C programmers to have any
>>> notion of "id of a variable". I, for example, never thought about such
>>> thing before this thread.
>>
>> But even in Python we don't speak of "id of a variable". It is not the
>> variable that has an id. It is the object that is currently attached to
>> the variable that has an id. Yes we can use "id of a variable" as a
>> shortcut for the correct formulation as long as you keep in mind that it
>> is not the variable itself that has an id.
>
> This sounds a bit like saying "yes we can use the term 'variable' as a
> shortcut for the correct formulation (object associated to a name)

A variable is not an object associated to a name. It is not the object
that is the variable.

> as long as we keep in mind that it is not actually a variable" :)

Variable is a term that comes from mathematics. No language variable
is exactly like the mathematical notion, but if I had to choose I
would say that lisp, smalltalk and python variables come closer
than C, ada or pascal variables.

--
Antoon Pardon