Truly platform-independent DB access in Python?

Boris Dušek boris.dusek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 11:41:06 EDT 2006

skip at pobox.com wrote:
> I don't think you mean "platform-independent".  I suspect you mean
> "batteries included".  Prior to the release of Python 2.5, no modules to
> access SQL databases were distributed with core Python.  Starting with 2.5,
> sqlite access will be available:
>
>     >>> import sqlite3
>     >>> sqlite3.__file__
>     '/Users/skip/local/lib/python2.5/sqlite3/__init__.pyc'
>
> So, if what you were really asking was "what SQL databases can I access
> without installing any software other than Python?", then the answer is "No
> SQL databases were distributed with Python prior to 2.5.  Starting with
> Python 2.5, access to sqlite databases is available by default."  Python 2.5
> is due out soon (according to PEP 356, on 12 September).

Yes, you excactly got my point. The thing is that I can't rely on
Python 2.5 to be installed soon.
So the only solution for me at this moment is to use jython and from
there use Java JDBC API (sorry :-) But it would be great if the Python
DB API compliant-modules would become parts of core python quickly.
Python DB API itself is a great thing.