Truly platform-independent DB access in Python?

Jorge Vargas jorge.vargas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 00:38:34 EDT 2006

On 28 Aug 2006 00:01:06 -0700, bobrik <boris.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using the Python DB API for access to MySQL. But it is not
> platform-independent - I need a module not included in Python by
> default - python-mysql, and it uses a compiled binary _mysql.so. So it
> is not platform-independent because for each web-server on different
> platform, I would have to download it and extra compile it specifically
> for that platform. Do you know of any Python solution for MySQL access
> that is 100% platform-independent?

I'm sorry but since when is MySQL platform independent? if
mysql-python will be pure python then it will probably be slower
because it will have to use sockets, or other type of IPC instead Andy
used mysql C API which is fast.

on the other hand all big *NIX distros have mysql-python on their
packages/tree, and I made a windows installer of the last version,
which you can get from sourceforge.

so the only problem I see here is if your on a mac, on which the
source should compile without problems since it's *NIX now.

at this moment installing on any mayor platform is 2-3 commands/clicks away.