hide python code !

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVEME.cybersource.com.au
Mon Aug 14 04:55:15 EDT 2006

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006 06:16:26 -0700, Fuzzyman wrote:

> What you can do with Python is almost certainly *good enough* for most
> people who ask this question - and that fact never seems to be included
> in the 'reality' propogated by the knee jerk reactionists... :-p

The Original Poster *explicitly* stated that he was aware of the .pyc
files, and rejected that strategy because .pyc files can be decompiled.

He was asking for something which can't be decompiled, which is not
possible since machine code can also be decompiled -- in fact, there
are probably lots more disassemblers and decompilers for C than there are
for Python. I'd rather educate him so he stops wasting his time rather
than reinforce his ignorance by pretending that there are ways of
distributing code without it also being decompilable.

You suggested that it does harm to Python to give developers a realistic
understanding of what Python is capable of, and that it's better to give
them a misleading answer. I reject that idea utterly.

--
Steven D'Aprano