Mega Newbie Questions: Probably FAQs

Peter Decker pydecker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 19:29:42 EDT 2006

On 8/15/06, Zeph <zeph_zhang at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> > Framework for what kind of apps? Web, native GUI, client-server, etc?
> > MVC is an abstract architecture rather than a specific implementation.
> > Even so, many implementations rarely employ a purely MVC design.
>
> Native GUI with some client-server abilities. Basically, it's a
> database-inventory sort of thing with some pretty intense reporting.
> Call it a productivity app--no need for intense graphics or massive
> computation. Fundamentally, what I want is to be able to distribute a
> "regular app", mainly for the Windows market, but I also want to offer
> it to the Mac and Linux crowd--on one code base if possible.

You should really check out Dabo. It is an application framework
designed to create database apps in a really Pythonic way. Probably
the best way to start is to check out the screencasts - they really
show just how cool Dabo is. I'd start with the one on quickly creating
a database app:
http://leafe.com/screencasts/appwizard.html

The rest of them are listed at http://dabodev.com/documentation. I've
been using the UI module from Dabo for over a year, and it's
rock-solid.

--

# p.d.