PIL issues

Amit Khemka khemkaamit at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 02:30:44 EDT 2006

On 8/1/06, David Bear <david.bear at asu.edu> wrote:
> I am trying to use PIL and when building it, PIL fails to find my jpeg
> library. I am using a python 2.4.3 that I build myself on Suse linux 9.3. I
> do have the following jpeg libraries:
>
> rpm -qa | grep jpeg
> jpeg-6b-738
> libjpeg-32bit-9.3-7
> libjpeg-6.2.0-738
>

> yet, when building PIL I get:
>
> python setup.py build_ext -i
> running build_ext
> PIL 1.1.5 BUILD SUMMARY
> version       1.1.5
> platform      linux2 2.4.2 (#4, Jul 27 2006, 14:34:30)
>               [GCC 3.3.5 20050117 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)]
> *** TKINTER support not available
> *** JPEG support not available
> --- ZLIB (PNG/ZIP) support ok
> *** FREETYPE2 support not available
> To add a missing option, make sure you have the required
> library, and set the corresponding ROOT variable in the
> setup.py script.
>
> I don't know what ROOT variable the message is referring too. Any advice
> would be appreciated.

This is because PIL, is not able to find the jpeg/other libraries .

1. Install jpeg-libs from sources: (http://www.ijg.org/files/jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz)
2.0: "clean" the PIL build
2.1 In setup.py that comes with PIL, set the JPEG_ROOT to the jpeg-lib path
3.0 run setup.py

I hope that should help ..

cheers,
amit