Is pwm Python MegaWidgets viable?

James Stroud jstroud at ucla.edu
Mon Apr 3 20:08:33 EDT 2006

Paul Watson wrote:
> gregarican wrote:
>
>> Paul Watson wrote:
>>

>>> Does pwm run well on Python 2.4?  The last release appears to be in
>>> 2003.  The Manning discussion forum is dead.
>>>
>>> Is there a better path to learning and producing tkInter apps?
>>>

>>> Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
>>> Python distro?  A requirement here is to not require download/install of
>>> anything other than the Python release.
>>

>> I can't vouch for Python 2.4, but I used the PMW library pretty
>> extensively for an app that is based on Python 2.3. Tkinker itself
>> offers most of the basic widgets that any Tk implementation does, and
>> there's an online guide (can't recall the URL right now) to Tkinter
>> that is great for an introduction tutorial. PMW is an add-on to Tkinter
>> that is useful if there are specific widgets that you need that basic
>> Tkinter doesn't provide and you don't feel like creating them from
>> scratch. Just because it doesn't have a new release in the past couple
>> of years doesn't mean that it's truly a dead project. Perhaps it's
>> stabilized and there haven't been overwhelming requests for adding any
>> new items to it. Using PMW won't help you learn Tkinter any quicker in
>> any event. Just icing on the cake :-)
>

> Many thanks for your reply.  I was setting out to make use of the
> Manning book by Grayson.  Perhaps I should just use online tutorial and
> such for learning plain-old tk first.  However, I have heard good things
> about the book.  Just trying to use what was already at hand.

If you want to write full-featured GUI apps with Tkinter, Grayson is
your best bet. Lundh's tutorial is excellent as a reference, but, last I
checked, was not as extensive as Grayson in terms of teaching new users.

Also, PMW is relatively heavy-weight, so make sure the Python standard
library doesn't already do what you want before including PMW (e.g.
ScrolledText, etc.).

James

--
James Stroud