Help - strange behaviour from python list

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Apr 11 08:35:31 EDT 2006

Sean Hammond wrote:

> I've managed to create a scenario in which editing an object in a list of
> objects seems to edit every object in the list, rather than just the one.
> I'm totally stumped and wondered if anyone would be kind enough to read my
> explanation and see if they have any suggestions. I have probably stumbled
> into some typical newbie problem, but anyway:

some useful resources:

    http://docs.python.org/tut/node6.html#SECTION006710000000000000000
    (see the paragraph that starts with "important warning")

    http://www.python.org/doc/faq/general/#why-are-default-values-shared-between-objects

    http://docs.python.org/ref/function.html
    (see the paragraph that starts with "Default parameters are evaluated when the
    function definition is executed")

(you cannot say we didn't warn you ;-)

</F>