Non-web-based templating system

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 28 11:11:11 EDT 2006

<qscomputing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm creating a small application in Python that uses lists and
> dictionaries to create a rudimentary database. I'd like to create some
> "fill-in-the-blanks" reports from this data, ideally by taking an RTF
> or plaintext file as a template and replacing placeholder tags with my
> data.
> Are there any good pre-written systems that would allow me to do this?

I have a certain fondness for the first over-100-lines module I wrote
for Python, which eventually resulted in:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/52305

and while I haven't checked its descendant:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/465508

it may have important enhancements.  There are also a couple of
variations on the web that are specialized for XML and HTML (search for
yaptu), but the generic one should work better for RTF and TXT.

Alex