How to change the docs - a case study

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Sat Apr 8 04:17:25 EDT 2006

Kent Johnson wrote:

> >> Here is an example. This morning I noticed a minor discrepancy in the
> >> docs for the 'rot13' encoding. I posted a bug to SourceForge at 10:05
> >> GMT. At 10:59 someone commented that maybe the code was broken rather
> >> than the docs. At 11:18 another poster responded that the code should
> >> stay the same. At 11:25, less than two hours after my original report, a
> >> fixed was checked in.
> >
> > how many manhours did this take, in total ?  did you clock your own efforts ?
>
> It took a few minutes of my time. Maybe a minute to verify that there
> was no similar bug report, a few minutes to write up my findings and
> submit them. I don't know how much time the other posters spent but the
> total clock time from OP to fix was 1 hour 20 minutes so that gives you
> an upper bound.

now that the developer documentation has been updated, have you verified
that the fix is correct ?   if you have, how long did it take (in clock time) be-
fore you got around to do that ?

> the 2.4.3 doc is still broken:
>
>     http://docs.python.org/lib/standard-encodings.html

for the record, it's still broken.  and there's no sign that there's a known
bug on that page.

I've written a little more about this here:

    http://pytut.infogami.com/blog/43fm

</F>