[wwwsearch-general] Re: Urllib2 / add_password method

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sat Apr 29 15:19:48 EDT 2006

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006, John J. Lee wrote:

> "mrstephengross" <mrstephengross at hotmail.com> writes:
>
>> I'm working on learning how to use urllib2 to use a proxy server. I've
>> looked through the postings on this group, and it's been helpful. I
>> have not, however, found complete documentation on the add_password()
>> functions. Here's what I've got so far:
>
> Don't use a password manager with proxy auth in 2.4, it doesn't work:
>
> http://python.org/sf/1470846
>
> [...]
>> It works, but I don't really know what I'm doing with the
>> proxy_auth_handler part. Specifying username and password make sense,
>> but I haven't found documentation on what 'realm' and 'host' are for.
>> Shouldn't username & password be sufficient?

Oops, didn't read your question.

I'm surprised if it worked at all given that bug (maybe you're using an
older Python, and I forget all the details of the bug).

Anyway, to answer your question: yes, username & password *should* be
sufficient, but the password manager classes in urllib2 at present aren't
very friendly like that.  You can use HTTPPasswordMgrWithDefaultRealm so
that at least you can forget about the realm part.  (The "realm" is what
you see in the title bar of the pop-up that web browsers display.  See RFC
2617 for more details.)

I'm adding friendlier proxy/auth support to package mechanize ATM (and
finding/fixing bugs as I go), so maybe some of that will find its way into
Python 2.6.

John