Pyrex installation on windows XP: step-by-step guide

sturlamolden sturlamolden at yahoo.no
Wed Apr 26 14:29:53 EDT 2006

Julien Fiore wrote:

> # step A.3 #
> Install Mingw, the gcc compiler for Windows, available at
> http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml. (we downloaded the file
> MinGW-5.0.2.exe and installed only the "base tool" (this includes
> mingw-runtime 3.9, w32api-3.6, binutils 2.15.91 and gcc-core 3.4.2).
> Add Mingw path ("C:\MinGW\bin") to the Windows "Path" environment
> variable. If you already have cygwin installed, add C:\MinGW\bin before
> the Cygwin path.

I don't think this is safe. MinGW links with msvcrt.dll whereas the
main Python distribution links with msvcr71.dll (due to Visual C++
2003).  It is not safe to mix and blend different C runtime libraries.
If you are to build a C extension with MinGW, you also need to build
Python against msvcrt.dll, i.e. you have to use a Python built with
MinGW or Visual C++ 6.0. There other option is to make MinGW link
against msvcr71.dll. I don't know if that is feasible.