PYTHONPATH

Brian van den Broek broek at cc.umanitoba.ca
Mon Apr 24 18:17:01 EDT 2006

Edward Elliott said unto the world upon 23/04/06 07:56 PM:
> Brian van den Broek wrote:

<snip>

>>Only somewhat, as if I open a brand new shell:
>>
>>brian at Cedric:~$ python
>>['', '/usr/lib/python24.zip', '/usr/lib/python2.4']
>

> You realize this only prints the first 3 elements of path, right?

Indeed :-)  As the desired new path elements after running
'. .bash_profile' were inserted starting at path[1], I did this to cut
down on the size of the screen dump.

>>So, it seems that I currently have to invoke '. .bash_profile'
>>manually with each new shell opened for this to have effect.
>

> Your shell must not be opening as a login shell.  From the bash man page:

<snip'ed many helpful things>

> When you do need ubuntu-specific help, you can try the
> forums on
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/
>
> I don't think you'll need that for any Python-related questions though
> (other than installing python packages with apt-get).

Thanks again, Edward. If the information you've given me doesn't get
me sorted out, I will try with the ubuntu folk.

Best,

Brian vdB