MinGW and Python

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Apr 27 01:48:10 EDT 2006

Ross Ridge wrote:
> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/abx4dbyh(VS.80).aspx
>>
>> 'The msvcrt.dll is now a "known DLL," meaning that it is a system
>> component owned and built by Windows. It is intended for future use only
>> by system-level components.'
>
> Exactly, it's the standard Windows system C library.

That's not how I read it. To me, it says: it can be used by other
parts of Windows itself (i.e. system-level components), but it is not
intended to be used by third-party applications (such as Python),
as these are not system-level components.

>> Regardless, there is no version of the MS C++ library that links against
>> msvcrt.dll.
>
> The version of the MS C++ library in Visual Studio C++ 6 links against
> MSVCRT.DLL.

I see (*). Unfortunately, that version isn't available anymore, and
wasn't available anymore when Python 2.4 was released.

>> So if Python is linked against msvcrt.dll, you can't really build C++
>> extensions anymore (with MSVC), unless you are certain that
>> mixing CRTs causes no harm for your application.
>
> Python 2.4 is linked against MSVCR71.DLL, so you can't really build C
> or C++ extensions anymore with Microsoft's current compiler either.

Right: you need to use VS.NET 2003 (which was the current compiler
when Python 2.4 was first released).

Regards,
Martin