PEP 359: The "make" Statement

Mike Orr sluggoster at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 19:56:17 EDT 2006

> I think this PEP is going off the rails. It's primary virtue was that it
was a simpler, clearer way to write:

     class Foo(args):
        __metaclass__ = some_metaclass
        #...

And it doesn't even do that.  What's wrong with "class Foo:
__metaclass__ = blah"?  Two lines of code, and the double underscores
indicate something special is happening.

What I would most like to see is 'type' become the default metaclass
without having to type wait for Python 3000 or clutter the code with a
soon-to-be-redundant "(object)" base class.  That would obviate my main
use of __metaclass__.  How about "from __future__ import
classic_classes" for those few programs that really need old-style
classes?