Automated Graph Plotting in Python

Kent Johnson kent at kentsjohnson.com
Sun Apr 9 08:38:55 EDT 2006

diffuser78 at gmail.com wrote:
> My python program spits lot of data. I take that data and plot graphs
> using OfficeOrg spredsheet. I want to automate this task as this takes
> so much of time. I have some questions.
>
> 1. Which is the best graph plotting utility in python or linux. Can I
> write a code in such a way that my python code automatically gives me a
> graph. I know little about gnuplot. If you know any better tool without
> much learning curve please tell me in Linux.

I don't know which is best but some options are listed here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/UsefulModules#head-a7e459aeb7e5672e6d431e972a3121670c4dcf1c

> 2. I want to write a script such that my python code writes to a file,
> some graph utility like gnuplot takes that data from the file and I get
> my graph ready made. Do you think its possible ?

The Python modules are generally oriented towards a Python API where you
pass the data to the plot package directly, rather than creating a file.
Under the hood some of them do exactly what you describe; I think
gnuplot.py works that way.

Kent