setting file permissions on a web server

Kirk McDonald mooquack at suad.org
Sun Apr 30 17:08:58 EDT 2006

Daniel Nogradi wrote:
> I have next to zero experience with windows but as far as I know
> windows doesn't have file permissions at all (anyone, please correct
> me if I'm wrong :)) so in windows land it doesn't make any sense to
> "change file permissions". Even if it has some sort of a notion of
> file permissions I wouldn't know how that gets translated into unix.

This is getting a little off-topic, I admit, but the NT-derived versions
of Windows do indeed have file permissions. The Windows-equivalent of
chmod (and chown) is cacls ("Change Access Control Lists"):

http://www.ss64.com/nt/cacls.html

In essence, each file has an owner and a list of other users and groups,
who may each have "Full control" (meaning they can change permissions),
read-only, write-only, read-write, or no access.

Windows 95 and its descendants don't have permissions any more than DOS
does. (Except with respect to Windows network file-sharing.)

(Heh, I checked just before posting this and someone beat me to it.
Here's my post anyway.) :-)

-Kirk McDonald