Farther OT: financial analytics (was: OT: job offering in Milan)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Fri Apr 7 10:08:01 EDT 2006

In article <mailman.4224.1144413408.27775.python-list at python.org>,
Robin Becker  <robin at reportlab.com> wrote:
			.
>My math skills are now so degraded I have difficulty reading about conic
>programming using Nesterov's barrier functions etc etc.
			.
			.
			.
You've got me curious.  I haven't yet located an adequate
introduction to the topic, so I'll ask *you* about the
basics:  do these (*semi*definite?) cones arise in financial
with time the privileged dimension?  Does "cone" here mean
necessarily with a quadratic cross-section?  If so, why is
that more compelling than the simplexes of more traditional
LP?