Python2CPP ?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Wed Apr 12 08:30:32 EDT 2006

> 1) Curiosity. I would like to see how well the translation goes.

If there is something that works, it will look awful to the eye.
Code-generators are generally not very idiomatic - they mapping is to
localized to e.g. factorize out a more complex loop to something a
generator might to much better.

I suggest you take a look at pyrex, a python-like language that bridges
python and C by generating C.

> 2) Efficiency. It is alot quicker to code something in Python. If I can
>    write it in Python and auto-convert it to C++. I would save time
>    coding.

Then let it run in python.

> 3) Education. I would learn more about Python, C++, their similarities and
> differences.

I also doubt that. digging into generated, non-idiomatic code won't do much
for you to grasp what is behind Python or C++ as well. Think e.g. of
templating, a major feature in C++ that certainly won't be utilized by a
code-generator that does everything based on python C-structures and their
C-API.

Regards,

Diez