Why new Python 2.5 feature "class C()" return old-style class ?

Petr Prikryl prikryl at skil.cz
Thu Apr 13 02:12:27 EDT 2006

"Aahz" wrote...
> Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> >Aahz a écrit :
[...]
> >> Classic classes are *NOT* deprecated.
> >Perhaps not *officially* yet...
>
> Not even unofficially.  The point at which we have deprecation is when
> PEP8 gets changed to say that new-style classes are required for
> contributions.

My question: Could the old classes be treated in
a new Python treated as new classes with "implicit"
base object? (I know the Zen... ;-)

Example: I use usually a very simple classes. When I add
"(object)" to my class definitions, the code continues to
works fine -- plus I have new features to use.
Why this cannot be done automatically? What could
be broken in the old code if it was threated so?

Thanks for explanation,
   pepr