Programming Tutorial for absolute beginners

Clodoaldo Pinto clodoaldo.pinto at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 11:54:26 EDT 2006

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> Clodoaldo Pinto a écrit :
> > bill pursell wrote:
> >
> (snip)
> >>2) In the section on installing, you begin with:
> >>"Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming
> >>language.".  The complete novice sees those words and expects
> >>them to be explained, but there is no definition given.  I would
> >>recommend simplifying that sentence, or explaining the terms.
> >
> > Ok, i will think about something, or just delete it.
>
> FWIW, being "interpreted" is not a feature of a language but of a given
> implementation of a language - and actually, the reference
> implementation (CPython) is byte-compiled, not interpreted. As for
> interactivity, it comes from a program (the Python shell) that ships
> with the reference implementation - not from the laguage itself.

That Python definition was taken literally from the old site's "about"
page. The new "about" page is better for the purposes of this course:

"Python is a remarkably powerful dynamic programming language that is
used in a wide variety of application domains. Python is often compared
to Tcl, Perl, Ruby, Scheme or Java. Some of its key distinguishing
features include:..."

Or the first page definition:

"Python® is a dynamic object-oriented programming language that can be
used for many kinds of software development. It offers strong support
for integration with other languages and tools, comes with extensive
standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days. Many Python
programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel the language
encourages the development of higher quality, more maintainable code."

I'm leaning towards the first page one from which i would take this
part out:

"is a dynamic object-oriented programming language"

That would leave this simple text:

"Python® can be used for many kinds of software development. It offers
strong support for integration with other languages and tools, comes
with extensive standard libraries, and can be learned in a few days.
Many Python programmers report substantial productivity gains and feel
the language encourages the development of higher quality, more
maintainable code."

Regards, Clodoaldo