Looking for a programming resource for newbees

Gaz gaz082 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 22:16:43 EDT 2006

bambooforest ha escrito:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm from a Linguistics background and am new(er) to programming. Could
> someone recommend a book or resource that teaches programming aspects
> with Python? Python I hear is a very appropriate language for handling
> text and language processing.
>
> I'm searching for a resource that examines programming from a case
> study like perspective. Such as, you're faced with problem of type X -
> and here's how you should look at it to break it down to form an
> optimal solution (e.g. because this type or problem is handled well
> with this type of data structure, etc.).
>
> I've looked at the online Python tutorial at python.org and resources
> like O'Reilly's Python in a Nutshell, but they seem to teach you
> language syntax and concepts like data types, or assume you already
> know how to program. I'm searching for something that teaches
> programming.
>
> Thanks everyone,
>
> -Steve

Hi Steve,

If you know little about programming, you should get any book or google
for "programming tutorials" or something like that, no matter which
language uses that book/website as example. Programing is just learning
simple basic operation and tools to help you develop algorithms to
reach your goals. Once you have mastered those simple operation and
basic programming skills, read again the Pytutorial and find out how to
translate your little programs programmed with the language you used to
learn.