Finding Module Dependancies

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.com
Sun Apr 23 07:20:04 EDT 2006

Larry Bates wrote:

> Remember that Python is so dynamic that you can build dependencies
> during program execution and import them on-the-fly.  So a dependency
> checker would always be incomplete.  You always need to write unit
> tests.

The Pychecker will usually see also missing on-the-fly imports and most
of that like.
You'd need to do tricky exec stuff to trick him - and even then he can
warn for smelling style of code.
You'd have to add upon warnings a #$pycheck_no to all such smelling
lines in order to confirm, that you really know what you are doing.

To my experience you'd usually not get the written tests dense enough
(at reasonable costs) to look into all branches of execution flow.

All 5 things are needed for efficiency :
(frequency of application decreasing the list down)

* auto-postmortem debugging (dev) ( auto-postmortem report (dist))
* running written tests
* code checks
* walking major execution branches by manual tests
* beta cycling

-robert