Regular Expressions

david brochu jr brochu121 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 15:44:05 EDT 2006

Pete,

*Why do you have to use a regular expression?*
I don't, I just though this was the easiest way.

> *"DcaVer"=dword:00000640

Is all your other input pretty much identical in form?  Specifically,
the number of interest is the last thing on the line, and always
preceded by a colon?*

The other information is pretty much identical in form, yes. Exactally, all
I am interested in is the number following the colon.

> *What I need to do with that string is trim down " "DcaVer"=dword:" and
> convert the remaining number from hex to dec.

What does "trim down" mean?  Do you need something out of the string, or
are you just discarding/ignoring it?*

What I meant was I want to discard the "DcaVer"=dword: . All I am interested
in is searching for "DcaVer, finding it, and then taking the numerical value
found after the colon.

*s = '"DcaVer"=dword:00000640'
value = int(s.split(':')[-1], 16)

(In other words, split on colons, take the last field and, treating it
as a hex value, convert to an integer.)*

The only problem with this is DcaVer's value is not always going to be the
same, so I need to search specially for DcaVer and then after finding it get
the numerical value associated with it.

Thanks