Python IDE for linux

akameswaran at gmail.com akameswaran at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 14:26:01 EDT 2006

my $.03

I'm a tool freak - not just development, in general.
Also from a Java background.

PyDev plugin  on Eclipse is the bomb, as far as I am concerned.

There was also a TruStudio plugin for eclipse that was a bit more
ambitious, but I've used it since early milestones through to the
current release, and there are still bugs in the way it handles indents
and code identification.

So I have settled on PyDev.  It does a good bit of the work for you.
It's package management is the best - basically it uses java based
ideas. IT's not a perfect fit, but it's good enough for government work
;)

Basically I use PyDev  for
1) syntax highlighting
2) code completion
3) minor debugging - debugger seems a little clunky to me
4) subversion integration - I love this feature, don't know how I got
along without it (via standard eclipse svn plugin) - also available for
cvs

And it works well and performance is good.  Code complete doesn't bog
the system to bad.