multiline comments

Edward Elliott nobody at 127.0.0.1
Tue Apr 18 19:53:00 EDT 2006

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, I'm wondering why Python doesn't have
any multiline comments.  One can abuse triple-quotes for that purpose, but
that's obviously not what it's for and doesn't nest properly.  ML has a
very elegant system for nested comments with (* and *).

Using an editor to throw #s in front of every line has limitations.  Your
editor has to support it and you have to know how to use that feature.  Not
exactly intuitive or easy for novices to pick up.  Also a pain if your
preferred editor is python/perl/sh-agnostic.

Saying coders shouldn't use multiline comments to disable code misses the
point.  Coders will comment out code regardless of the existence of
multiline comemnts.  There has to be a better argument for leaving them out.

Keeping the language small and simple is desirable, but it's not an
absolute.  A little syntactic sugar like 'for x in s' makes code easier to
read than 'for i in len(s): x = s[i]'.  So what are the tradeoffs involved
with nested multiline comments?  I'd like to understand the reasoning
behind keeping them out.