can't pass command-line arguments

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Tue Apr 11 03:55:57 EDT 2006

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> In article <Xns97A165539F6Eduncanbooth at 127.0.0.1>,
>  Duncan Booth <duncan.booth at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Windows variants such as NT/2000/XP are not based on MS-DOS in any way.
>
> Then why are Windows system files still restricted to 8.3 names? Doesn't
> that restriction derive from a core MS-DOS-based kernel?

Can you give an example where the filenames are restricted to 8.3 names (as
opposed to just happening to use names which fit within 8.3)?

A lot of the files and directories in the C:\Windows folder have non 8.3
names, and though many of them aren't part of the core system they are
still 'system files'. Of course .Net is where the filenames become really
gross.

There is no MSDOS kernel in any of the the systems I mentioned.

There is an MSDOS subsystem which is loaded when required to run old
applications: NT had 5 subsytems: Win32, Posix, OS/2, MSDOS virtual
machine, and WOW (16 bit windows emulation). XP dropped the OS/2 and Posix
subsystems. XP 64-bit edition also drops the MS-DOS and WOW subsystems (it
adds a WOW64 subsystem to handle 32-bit binaries).