how relevant is C today?

Sun Apr 9 13:07:55 EDT 2006

Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> As for *learning* the languages: never learn a language without a
> specific inducement. If you know you are going to write a Python
> extension, an Apache module, or a Linux kernel module in the
> near future, start learning C today. If you don't know what you
> want to use it for, learning it might be a waste of time, as
> you won't know what to look for if you don't have a specific project
> in mind.

I don't know if I completely agree with you, but I definitely understand
your point. I started learning C# for no reason, just because I'm
interested in programming. A year later, I never really used it much
because I didn't have a reason to. Now I've moved on to Python
(actually, I was going to start learning Python a while ago, but I was
afraid it would interfere with learning C#). So here I am now thinking
about C, but I also don't want it to interfere with Python.

I like Python and want to stick with it, which is why I'm desperately
looking fore exercises and puzzles so I can use it. It's just that I
obessively like to learn new things, and I keep moving on to new
subjects once I've 'learned' something well enough. I know Python well
enough, but for no real reason, so I think I'm going to stick with it
and keep using it, because it's fun.