updated pre-PEP: The create statement

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Thu Apr 6 23:37:03 EDT 2006

    Steven> Optional Extensions
    Steven> ===================

    Steven> Remove the create keyword
    Steven> -------------------------

    Steven> It might be possible to remove the create keyword so that such
    Steven> statements would begin with the callable being called, e.g.::

    Steven>      namespace ns:
    Steven>          badger = 42
    Steven>          def spam():

    Steven>      interface C(...):

    Steven> However, this would probably add some complexity in the grammar
    Steven> and so far I (Steven Bethard) have not been able to implement
    Steven> the feature without the keyword.

Someone mentioned using "make" instead of "create".  In both my own code as
well as the Python source, use of "make" is much less prevalent than
"create".

Even if you figure out a way to not use a keyword, I wouldn't do that.  I
believe almost all Python statements begin with a keyword.  The one notable
exception is the assignment statement.

Skip