symbolic links, aliases, cls clear

Chris F.A. Johnson cfajohnson at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 19:57:36 EDT 2006

On 2006-04-12, Christos Georgiou wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:59:05 -0400, rumours say that "Chris F.A. Johnson"
><cfajohnson at gmail.com> might have written:

>>> And that justifies everything else. Of course.
>>
>>   If I want to write portable scripts, then yes, it does.
>
> Well, either port your system out of the window or port tput.c to your
> system and then start writing "portable" scripts.  tput is part of the POSIX
> 1003.1 standard, and guess what the 'P' stands for in POSIX.

     It may be part of the POSIX standard, but there's nothing in the
     POSIX definition of tput that provides for cursor positioning or
     font attributes. The only defined operands are clear, init and
     reset.

     In fact, my scripts are portable to other terminal types by use
     of files for each terminal, generated with tput. Using a
     different terminal is as easy as ". /usr/share/term-sh/$TERM" or
     something similar. I generated a lot of files a few years ago,
     but I have never had any call for them, so I'd have to hunt for
     them.

> If you insist, I will retort to using Terry Pratchett references.

     UNCLE!

--
   Chris F.A. Johnson, author   |    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>
   Shell Scripting Recipes:     |  My code in this post, if any,