A QFB agent: how to catch C-level crashes and last Python stack ?

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.com
Tue Apr 25 03:44:52 EDT 2006

When employing complex UI libs (wx, win32ui, ..) and other extension
libs, nice "only Python stack traces" remain a myth.

Currently I'm hunting again a rare C-level crash bug of a Python based
Windows app with rare user reports - and still in the dark (I get
snippets of machine stack traces / screenshots with random "mem. access
error" / "python caused the runtime to terminate in an unusual way" / ..)

I'd like to hook a kind of quality feedback agent a C-level to enable
the user transfer a report (similar to what Mozilla/Netscape has), e.g.
in a changed python.exe stub. Next to the machine stack/regs it should
grab the relevant last Python thread stack(s), if any, and maybe other
useful status and python global vars.
(There are also Python threads going on. )

Is that possible?

-robert