LINKFORSHARED problem on Mac OS 10.4

Andrew Trevorrow andrew at trevorrow.com
Wed Apr 5 21:19:16 EDT 2006

[I sent this to pythonmac-sig but never got a reply, so hopefully there are
more Mac Python gurus here.]

I recently added Python scripting to our app (an open source, cross-platform
Life app called Golly; see http://golly.sourceforge.net/ if you're interested).

Based on what I read at http://pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ, our makefile uses
these variables when compiling and linking:

PYTHON_INCLUDE = -I`python -c "import distutils.sysconfig; print
distutils.sysconfig.get_python_inc()"`
PYTHON_LINK = `python -c "import distutils.sysconfig; print
distutils.sysconfig.get_config_var('LINKFORSHARED')"`

This works fine on OS 10.3.9, but on an Intel Mac running OS 10.4.5 the link
step fails because PYTHON_LINK is set to this:

-u __dummy -u _PyMac_Error -framework System
Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python -framework CoreServices -framework
Foundation

Does anybody know why it contains "Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Python" rather
than "-framework Python"?

I can fix the problem by explicitly using

PYTHON_LINK = -u __dummy -u _PyMac_Error -framework System -framework
Python -framework CoreServices -framework Foundation

but presumably that's not a good long-term solution.

This is my first project using gcc, makefiles, frameworks, Python, etc,
so I'm still somewhat foggy about lots of things.  Any advice would be
much appreciated!

Andrew