what has python added to programming languages? (lets be esoteric, shall we ; )

Carl Banks invalidemail at aerojockey.com
Fri Apr 21 23:12:00 EDT 2006

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <1145626206.331666.80540 at t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> Carl Banks <invalidemail at aerojockey.com> wrote:
> >Wildemar Wildenburger wrote:
> >> Are there any concepts that python has not borrowed, concepts that were
> >> not even inspired by other languages? I'm just interested if it is
> >> "merely" a best-of collection of language features or if there are
> >> actually inventions that have not - or hardly - existed in programming
> >> before python?
> >
> >Nesting by indentation
> 			.
> You *do* realize this was present in ABC, among others, right?

Yes.  I took the question to mean "what has Python made a commercial
success out of that wasn't popular before", which I guess was taking
quite a bit of liberty with it.  But he did give us the out of
"hardly".  I think it would be fair to say nesting by indentation
hardly existed before Python.

Carl Banks