wxpython in action book

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Mon Apr 3 04:16:25 EDT 2006

Butternut squash <rrrn at yahoo.com> wrote:

>any recommendations? any opinions?
>
>I want to learn to program in python and need a gui reference. I'll be
>updating various mysql tables. I have most of the code ready to roll by
>using a command line. I need put some lipstick on my project.
>
>pyQT seems viable but there is not really a good reference and tutorial
>
>so now I'm considering wxPython and saw this book and I'm wanting to know if
>if's even worth spending my $40 on.

It's a great book.  However, before diving in, take a moment to think about
how you expect to use this.  When I have an app that mostly dinks with a
database, I almost always decide to put a web front-end onto it.  That way,
I can run it locally (using CGIHTTPServer or CherryPy or something
similar), or I can plop it onto a web site and run it EVERYWHERE.

The thought processes are the same -- you create UI, you handle events.

You also might look at Dabo, which is a wrapper around wxPython for exactly
this kind of app.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.