Python 2.5 licensing: stop this change

Caleb Hattingh caleb.hattingh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 03:53:40 EST 2006

Steve

I agree with you.  If my vote means anything, I vote against it.

>> The Board realises that this change will be
>> contentious. There are many advantages
>> to making it, however, which we feel will
>> benefit the Python community at large
>> and the PSF membership in particular.
>> Users who wish to make commercial
>> use of Python on a royalty-free basis
>> are encouraged to continue using Python 2.4,
>> whose licensing conditions remain the same.

I guess what would happen is that many people will sit on 2.4 for a lot
longer than expected, or widespread interest in other implementations
(fork?) suddenly take off ;)

I would pretty much have to remain with 2.4 at work - we have a
draconian IT software management policy that would prevent me getting
approval for a commercial licence for python for at least the better
part of a year, and this cycle would be repeated for every upgrade (the
hold-ups involve budgets, cost-centres and red tape).    This is why I
use as much free software as possible.

Regards
Caleb