Fixing Python instalation in win2000 by hand

Sambo sambo at void.com
Mon Apr 17 12:55:51 EDT 2006

BartlebyScrivener wrote:

> You may want to try disabling any anti-virus software you have running
> as they
> frequently cause software installation failures.

NONE!!

> MSI Installers have a known issue with mapped network drives; please
> copy the
> installer to the c:\ root drive and try running the installation again.
>
> If you are using the NTFS file system, please make sure that the SYSTEM
> account has full rights over the target installation directory, the
> directory
> containing the installer file, AND the Windows Installer directory,
> located at
> either c:\WINNT\Installer\ (WINNT 4 / Windows 2000) or
> c:\Windows\Installer\
> (Windows XP).

Since I have not formated this drive (C:) it happens to be NTFS.
SYSTEM account??? what's that, where do I manage that?
When I was trying to share these drives in the past with linux,
I would often run into a message similar to "cannot share drive as main-c
drive already shared for system 'something' (C$)"

> This may be the result of an altered Windows Scripting Host
> installation. The
> best workaround is to reinstall this Windows component.
>
> Windows Scripting Host can be downloaded from:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c717d943-7e4b-4622-86eb-95a22b832caa&DisplayLang=en
>
> ( for Windows 200 / XP )
>
> or
Genuine validation? lol this should be interesting.

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a8a18f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&DisplayLang=en
>
> ( for Windows 9x / Me / NT4 )
>
> You will need to be logged in as an administrator of the target
> computer. You
> will also need to ensure that you have full permissions to install on
> the
> drive you have chosen.
>
> You must have Microsoft Windows Installer version 2.0 or greater to run
> the
> MSI package. There is a link to download the correct Windows Installer
> for
> your platform on the System Requirements page:
>
> http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/system_requirements.plex
>
> The MSI file may be corrupt. You may also want to try re-downloading
> the
> installation package and trying the installation again. If you have
> trouble
> downloading the file, you may want to try getting it via FTP:
>
> ftp://ftp.activestate.com or http://downloads.activestate.com
>
> If you are still seeing errors after the re-installation attempt, it
> would be
> helpful if you could send us a log of the installation process. You can
> perform Microsoft Installer logging using the msiexec command:
>
> C:\> msiexec /I installer_file_name.msi /L*v install.log
>
> Send us the resultant install.log file and we will investigate further.

I believe the most recent code I have tried to install was V3
InstMsiW.exe   1822848 Cre Aug. 13 2005
But if I am not mistaken it always came up with ERROR box "The specified service already exists."
May have been installed by some auto update, looking at the log seams like I have installer V3.

c:\temp1>msiexec /I c:\temp1\python-2.4c1.msi /L*v install.log
 /L*v ????
ok here it is... before downloading and installin the VB scripting crap.( in case it starts closing apps
trying to reboot and clear all this typing I've done hehe.

install.log
=== Verbose logging started: 17/04/2006  12:28:52  Build type: SHIP UNICODE 3.01.4000.2435  Calling process: C:\WINNT\system32\msiexec.exe ===
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:28:52:609]: Resetting cached policy values
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:28:52:609]: Machine policy value 'Debug' is 0
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:28:52:609]: ******* RunEngine:
           ******* Product: c:\temp1\python-2.4c1.msi
           ******* Action:
           ******* CommandLine: **********
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:28:52:609]: Machine policy value 'DisableUserInstalls' is 0
MSI (c) (84:10) [12:29:23:156]: Failed to connect to server. Error: 0x80080005

MSI (c) (84:10) [12:29:23:156]: MainEngineThread is returning 1601
=== Verbose logging stopped: 17/04/2006  12:29:23 ===