MS VC++ Toolkit 2003, where?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 24 11:01:54 EDT 2006

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Alex Martelli wrote:
> > Can anybody suggest where to get a Framework SDK 1.1., or any other
> > legal way to get "the core msvcrt.lib for msvcr71.dll against which to
> > link your extensions.  This is critically important"...???
>
> From
>

>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9b3a2ca6-3647-
>4070-9f41-a333c6b9181d&displaylang=en

Thanks!  For the convenience of tinyurl-preferrers:

http://tinyurl.com/5flob

> > I'm sure my Windows-loving
> > colleagues in the PSF (who got several free copies of VS 2003 from
> > Microsoft, I believe -- at the time, I had zero Windows installations
> > and zero interest in Windows, so I didn't sign up for one) have fully
> > considered this recurring drama, and come to the decision of sticking
> > with VS 2003 (avoiding any free-as-in-beer compilers such as VS 2005 or
> > mingw) with thorough and wise deliberation.
>
> Not sure whether this mark was meant to be sarcastic: but why you don't
> want to use mingw to build extensions on Windows, I cannot understand.

Jocular, but not sarcastic.  I have no problems using mingw if that's
what it takes -- the later instructions I saw were those suggesting the
Toolkit instead, so those are the ones I'm trying to follow.  What's the
updated URL for the instructions about using mingw instead?

Thanks,

Alex