Using a browser as a GUI: which Python package

Don Taylor nospamformeSVP at gmail.com
Sun Apr 30 21:27:11 EDT 2006

John J. Lee wrote:
> "André" <andre.roberge at gmail.com> writes:
> [...]
>
>>I would like to use a browser (e.g. Firefox) as a simple GUI
>>"framework".  Note that this is to be done on a single user machine, so
>>the question of sandboxing is not really relevant here.
>
> [...]
>
>>My ultimate goal would be to port the main features of two
>>wxPython-based apps I wrote (rur-ple and Lightning Compiler, both found
>>at https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=125834)
>>within a standard browser.
>

> If you can stick to Firefox, you might find XUL useful.  There are
> various different styles of development that use XUL and Python -- a
> bit of Googling and reading should find them.

Bear in mind that I don't know what I am talking about, but I stumbled
across 'ZK' the other day put it on my list of thinkgs to check out.  It
provides a range of XUL and XHTML widgets, see:

http://zk1.sourceforge.net/

Has anyone tried this?  I would really like to find a GUI toolkit that
allowed me to program XUL in Firefox using Python.  ZK is not quite
that, but it looks close.

Don.