"definitive" source on advanced python?

Kent Johnson kent at kentsjohnson.com
Mon Apr 3 09:57:54 EDT 2006

vdrab wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there some sort of coherent source (dead tree format, maybe?) on
> some of the more advanced features
> of python (decorators, metaclasses, etc)? I'm sort of looking for a
> python book that actually gets to the good stuff at some point, without
> first spending 6 chapters on how to append ints to a list. I can't seem
> to find any.

The "What's New" documents that come with each version of Python do a
good job of introducing new features, with reference to the relevant PEP
for all the details. For example decorators:
http://docs.python.org/whatsnew/node6.html

I found the printed Python Cookbook to be a good way to learn about
idiomatic usage. It also has some recipes using advanced features and
the explanations are helpful.

Kent