Splitting a string with extra parameters

Andrew Gwozdziewycz apgwoz at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 08:00:08 EDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 7:38 AM, Amit Khemka wrote:

> I guess you should use "re" module ... In this case  re.split("\D,\D",
> YOUR_STRING)  should work. (splits only when "," is between two
> non-digits).

This works assuming all line elements are quoted.

This would fail if (and this too my knowledge is proper CSV):

"Col 1 data 2,000", Col 2 data 3000, "Col 3 data 4,000"

Since the second element doesn't have a comma, it doesn't have to be
quoted.

It's probably best to use the built in CSV parser assuming your data
conforms to
the basic rules of CSV files.

---
Andrew Gwozdziewycz