Python 2.5 licensing: stop this change

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Apr 1 09:22:25 EST 2006

On 2006-04-01, Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl> wrote:

>>F> Can I ask for clarification. The charge applies to any commercial use
>>F> of a derivative work based on the Python source code ?
>
>>F> Normal applications that use Python, including bunding the standard
>>F> CPython as an executable, using tools like py2exe, won't be covered.
>>F> Right ?
>
> As I understand it, distributing Python is also covered. For a commercial
> vendor $1.25 is peanuts, but for the PSA it is a significant amount (think
> about all the Mac OSX copies if Apple decides to switch to 2.5).

I just found last night that my spankin' new Thinkpad came with
Python 2.2 pre-installed underneath an "IBMTOOLS" directory on
the C: drive.

Don't let Lenovo slide by without paying...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'll take ROAST BEEF
                                  at               if you're out of LAMB!!