BackgroundCall as Pythonic Thread - Re: threading, how to?

robert no-spam at no-spam-no-spam.com
Fri Apr 21 07:54:49 EDT 2006

akrapus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to understand how to use threading in Python. I get
> threading as a concept, but not the implementation.
>
> In order to start threading, do you call it as a separate function,
> which will then be applied to the rest of the code (functions) or do
> you open threading in each function. This all can probably be answered
> by 'How python threads different functions'?
>
> Hope if somebody can drop me a few lines. I've been trying with
> different tutorials, but still do not understand.

It think many Python newcomers have similar questions (and confusion
worries about those other answers).

Maybe thats because they bought the thread/threading.Thread/Queue stuff
and confusion from Java, C++ and that like.( And even encourages that
throw-and-pray .join()

This recipe offers BackgroundCall, which (example) you can probably
understand fuildly within a second:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/491280

Thus, you could forget about the technical term "thread".
As you write yoursef "..call it as a separate function..": Thats how
(new) Python programmers think naturally ?

-robert