python-dev Summary for 2006-02-16 through 2006-02-28

Manlio Perillo manlio_perilloNO at SPAMlibero.it
Sat Apr 29 05:02:35 EDT 2006

Steven Bethard ha scritto:
> python-dev Summary for 2006-02-16 through 2006-02-28
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> .. contents::
>
> [...]
> ------------------------------------
> Translating the Python documentation
> ------------------------------------
>
> Facundo Batista had proposed translating the Library Reference and
> asked about how to get notifications when the documentation was
> updated (so that the translations could also be updated). Georg Brandl
> suggested a post-commit hook in SVN, though this would only give
> notifications at the module level. Fredrik Lundh suggested something
> based on his `more dynamic library reference platform`_ so that the
> notifications could indicate particular methods and functions instead.

As the new maintainer of python.it (where an huge amount of
documentation has been already translated), I have written some
scripts/modules to help to keep this translation updated.

The scripts are in
http://svn.python.it/admin/trunk/scripts/

with some examples in
http://svn.python.it/admin/branches/updates/examples/

The process is simple.
First with the mark script one can split a new document in N subparts
(using visual marks), for helping translators to focus on small parts.
see:
http://svn.python.it/admin/branches/updates/examples/libdecimal.tex

The main issue is updating the documentation to a new version.
The update-version script will merge changes from old and new versions
of the original documentation to the translated one.
see: http://svn.python.it/admin/branches/updates/examples/emailmessage.tex

I hope this scripts can be useful, I'm thinking of releasing then as a
separate package.

Regards  Manlio Perillo