How to change the docs - a case study

Kent Johnson kent at kentsjohnson.com
Thu Apr 6 07:57:10 EDT 2006

There has been a lot of discussion here recently about making changes to
the docs, and what new system should be in place, etc., wiki, etc. I
occasionally chime in with a note that it's pretty easy to submit a doc
patch through SourceForge and they are often accepted quickly. The point
being that there is a system in place that in my experience works pretty
well.

Here is an example. This morning I noticed a minor discrepancy in the
docs for the 'rot13' encoding. I posted a bug to SourceForge at 10:05
GMT. At 10:59 someone commented that maybe the code was broken rather
than the docs. At 11:18 another poster responded that the code should
stay the same. At 11:25, less than two hours after my original report, a
fixed was checked in.

The complete exchange is here:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105470&aid=1465619&group_id=5470

Kent